Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Do you prefer a cage or a pole?

Tomatos have not done well this summer. It's the weather. its not sunny enough, or hot this further cripples plants that are not in full sun. I learned how to prune tomatoes earlier at work. Cutting off the leafy parts that are not going to produce fruit. This is so that the energy does not go to useless leaves, rather to help the fruit grow.

I bought the bamboo poles for an exorbant price and i actually with the help of a coecerced sibling (whatelse is new?) managed to uncage the tomatoes, and tie them to the poles. It is a job well done. I'm not a fan of tomato cages, the tomatoes get taller and i find the cage does not support the tomato plant as well as being tied to a pole. tomatoes are one of those plants that can be trelissed and this saves space and prevents other plants from being shaded out.


This is shot from behind the pea trellis and if you look closely you can see a chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment